Wednesday, August 18, 2010

EEOC, the "Media" and the Tea Party


The EEOC was established on July 2, 1965; its mandate is specified under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA), [4] the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008.







Now, the above was posted for reference. My point is this...why has the media ignored the most obvious point of the tea baggers?






I have been in management for over twenty years, gone to many seminars on the basis of discrimination. I have been privy to how to identify, confront, and extinguish any and all discrimination. I still have in my mind the last meeting where I and many managers have role played in order to properly deal with the issue. The biggest reason I have heard for management to have these "tools" is to insure a safe and productive environment in the workforce.






Now during the 2008 election I decided to be a pain in the ass to our human resources bigwig, I said during a role play moment(completely taking him, a white man, off guard) that Obama is a Muslim and I don't like him. The room went silent! The guy looked at me with a glaze over his face, paused and said this:






First, that is politics, the workforce is no place for that. That is the law. Secondly, saying that you don't like someone because they happen to be Muslim is discrimination. That type of behavior has no place for the workforce or any where else for that matter. That's when I hit him with a "monkey" comment about Obama. Boy was he pissed! He stated that the comment was racially insensitive to blacks, do I not see the historical context behind my comment? I retorted that he was being "politically correct", he was violating my first amendment rights! Well, he let me know that I was violating others civil rights with my insulting, bigoted, and rancor comments.






Then he fired me.






So you see, bias of any kind or insensitivity, isn't about "politically incorrectness". Its insulting, bigoted, and produces a unsafe and unproductive environment in society that cant be allowed if we are to be the "land of the free."






I just wonder when I watch television and watch the tea party rallies, when is the media going to fire them? When will the " we aren't racist", "why are you playing the race card again" going to be replaced with...your fired?






If their termination doesn't come soon...will our first woman president be called sugar tits? Will she hear the phrase, shrill every time she speaks? Will we have to constantly hear men say they fear for the security of the country once every month? Will we hear that "political incorrectness" and freedom of speech that absolves the members of today on a woman?






Will our first handicapped (don't bring up Roosevelt) be called words such as "Mongolism," or "retard" and "lame." Will we just let it be? Is Special Ed going to be that President's nickname? Will we have millions fearful because "he could accidentally press the wrong button?"






Will some people's "freedom of speech" continue to impede on others freedom?






Will we allow it...or will we say...your fired!

No comments: