Wednesday, August 18, 2010

To Hell with your EGO! Just get it right!


You know its funny, when I first came to the internet world the first person I came across was a gentleman from India. Very knowledgeable and confident in his stances. I told him it was an honor to know him and learn from him. He then forewarned me of "hero worship", I then had the moment that truly made me feel good...I disagreed with him. I told him I don't have any heroes. He scoffed at my statement, after about 45 minutes he came to the conclusion that I knew was the intent of his "hero worship" statement. Many people use others to make them feel good, we have a need to promote someone just to say we are the same because we have them in our camp. So I let him know that "cult of personality" was something I studied and was very aware of.







You see our ego is a good thing...in the right measure.






I once wrote a blog series that spoke about those here online and how I admire their ability to help in my path of knowledge. I saw how those that thanked me for my compliment were appreciative. I just wonder do they know how important their information has been to me. I just wonder do they know how much I appreciate that they have taken me further out of my own comfort zone. I just wonder do they know that even when they post...I investigate to make sure I'm not talking out my...well you know.






I have built friendships with some intelligent people, some are well educated and others are just organically knowledgeable. Its safe to say I value and are honored to have them as resources. But I would never get it to the point that I would fall prey to the "cult of personality"!






We have enough false prophets in this world, I don't have the time or lack of esteem to make myself worship at someones alter, just because they are smarter. Now, here is where nuance(you know that thing that you need to have critical thinking, research, and a desire to seek truth) becomes so very important. We must seek understanding of anything that interests us. You cant venture into the unknown blindly, nor can you concede to a point that just isn't true.






You cant see someone as the end all to be all, just as you cant ever see intellect or ability as something that cant be quantified. I know the last sentence will have some backlash from some of my friends, but damn...THERE ISN'T ANYTHING WRONG WITH HAVING TEACHERS, MENTORS, OR RESOURCES THAT ARE HELPFUL TO YOU GAINING TRUTH!






As I said in the right measure, ego is good. Lets look at the wrong measure...






Many people have crossed my path...lawyers, doctors, educators, and even politicians. I have had days where I have held my own and others that have schooled me. Great times in all instances. I have enjoyed all the discussions and debates. I like being corrected as much as I like being right. Its the same to me, one just has more steps to the goal...to know. But some of them...Master's degrees? Really? I'm a lawyer! Really? I teach at so and so! Really? I studied here or there? Really? What did you study I ask because it wasn't how to discuss, interact, articulate, or respect your peers.






Its about ego, can you make the importance of knowing the truth more than you having a belief on the basis of "hero worship", "cult of personality", or worse an ego so big that you just cant be wrong? Cant there be perception and knowledge sharing the same space?






Cant we just understand that if the truth will set you free, the lie will imprison you?

No comments: